#1 Slow Down and Relax
When you are making your plan for the day make sure to schedule in time to relax. Drink a nice cup of calming chamomile tea, read a good book, or watch the sunset from your favorite river bank.
#2 Get Physical!
Studies have shown that engaging in regular physical activity can relieve mental and physical tension as well as reducing blood pressure. So get out and try something new such as walking, swimming, biking or even dancing to your favorite tunes. My favorite band for getting moving right now is King Khan and BBQ Show (yes, that really is their name).
Check out just a few of the many benefits of physical exercise.
- Improves blood cholesterol levels
- Prevents and manages high blood pressure
- Prevents bone loss
- Boosts energy level
- Helps manage stress
* Please check with Dr. LuLu or your local physician before beginning a new exercise program
Getting six to eight hours of uninterrupted sleep each night helps reduce stress and depression. Restful and adequate sleep is absolutely essential for long term health and regeneration at a cellular level. There are several supplements that have been shown to help with sleep: Niacin, Vitamin B6, Magnesium, Tryptophan, and Melatonin.
How do you know if you are having inadequate sleep?
- Your partner called you a zombie - JK!
- You have drowsiness, fatigue, decreased concentration, impaired memory, irritability ,muscle tension and more!
Here are a few of my favorite botanical nervines, these are herbs that help nervous system relax, to help with sleep.
- Valeriana officinalis - Valerian Root
- Passiflora incarnata - Passion Flower
- Humulus lupulus - Hops
- Scutellaria lateriflora - Skullcap
- Matricaria chamomilla - Chamomile
* Please check with Dr. LuLu or your local physician before beginning a new supplement or botanical medicine.
#4 Give up those nasty habits
During times stress, it is easy to fall back into old habits we all know aren’t good for us. Too much alcohol, cigarettes or caffeine can increase blood pressure. If you smoke, decide to quit now. If you do drink alcohol, do so in moderation. This best remedy for a bad habit is to make a new habit - what’s yours?
I think this one is my favorite! Did you know every time you laugh and smile more oxygen is available for your brain? WOW!
Laughter makes us feel good. Don’t be afraid to laugh out loud at a joke, a funny movie or a comic strip, even when we’re alone.
If you need a good laugh today check this out.